Saturday, October 25, 2008

Home fresh goodness

I had a goal for myself this week and it was to try and make homemade bread. What made me want to try this, you ask? Well, I'll tell you. I'm a fan of a fellow blogger who lives a country life, and that's putting it mildly. Her blog is called Chickens in the Road and you should really check it out if you aren't already one of her readers.

I'm downright jealous of the resources that she has at her fingertips or should I say, right outside her front door. Her and her husband recently built a new house and for the past year she has added ducks, goats, chickens, a dog to watch these animals, a garden and a pond. She has decorated her home this fall with the foliage that grows near her home and around her property. She's been learning how to milk goats and make cheese from that milk, which has not been an easy task to collect. And on top of all that, she's funny, she's an author of romance novels and she bakes homemade bread frequently using a recipe that has been handed down from generation to generation.

She was my inspiration to make my first batch of homemade bread. I followed her directions and mixed the ingredients as instructed. I let the dough rise in a covered bowl for about an hour and then kneaded it.




I only have 1 loaf pan so I opted to use half the dough to make a few large rolls. This photo was before the bread was allowed the second time. It's at this point that I divided the dough to make my rolls and my 1 lone loaf.




An hour later, the dough had risen again and was ready to go into the oven to be baked. I was so proud every time that dough would rise successfully. I figured I would mess something up with the ingredients and be left with a flat lump of dough that would need to be trashed.







But look!! The bread turned out beautifully and was delicious as well. I can't wait to make my next batch and to try her other versions of this recipe.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh yum. I would be eating that bread morning, noon and night. And for snacks.

The Hunter's Wife said...

I might have to give this a try. I've never made homemade bread and it looks pretty good.

Congrats!

Connie said...

Mmm! I love bread! Egyptians call bread 'Ayesh, life, and I can agree with that. I think I will pop over to your friend's blog... I am sure I will be jealous too, but in a good way. I would love to settle some place one day and homestead. I want goats and/or sheep too - I want the wool and milk :-)

Dawn said...

I love homemade bread! Good for you for making it! I've never done it. My dad used to make homemade bread all the time. I need to encourage him to do it again. lol

Angie said...

I love homemade bread. I make a loaf every weekend. It makes the house smell so good. The kids seem to behave better at Sunday dinner when there is homemade bread. Take care...ang