Monday, October 06, 2008

Friday's Four Foods

It's that time again. Every week, Val at Fun, Crafts and Recipes gives us 4 challenge questions to answer about food. This week is no different so if you want to play, copy and paste the questions below onto your blog, give your answers and then leave a comment at the Four Foods on Friday post on Val's blog.

#1. Pasta. How do you tell when it’s done? Do you cook on medium or high?
I cook it on high and for the longest number of minutes suggested or until it looks ready to eat.

#2. Deep frying. What kind of oil do you use?
I don't do a lot of deep frying and although I shouldn't, I still use vegetable oil. But I have at times used the better choice of oils.

#3. Grilling. Do you grill on foil or directly on the grill?
We grill directly on the grill. Always have and probably always will unless we are grilling vegetables.

#4. Share a recipe that involves cooking something two different ways. Example, for lasagna you might fry the meat and bake the whole dish.
I recently made a post about making stew and had been asked to post the recipe, so it's coincidence that my stew recipe would be the answer to this question. It's not anything special or different, it's just fast and easy, as it should be.

Stew
2 pkgs stew meat (I have a large family)
3 large baking potatoes, peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
3-4 carrots, peeled and sliced
1 can green beans
frozen corn
1-2 cans beef broth
salt and pepper

In pan, heat cooking oil. Lightly coat stew meat in flour, salt and pepper and sear lightly. Put meat in crock pot. Peel and cut potatoes and carrots. Layer potatoes on top of meat and follow with carrots, corn and green beans. Pour in beef broth as needed to cover potatoes. Salt and pepper and cook on high for 4-6 hours. Stir, serve and enjoy.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like fast and easy. :) We have started using canola oil. I've read it's healthier.

Dawn said...

The only way I know to test pasta is to actually taste it along the way.

We use Canola oil to fry with and Olive oil for everything else.

We grill right on the grill as well.

Anele said...

Recipe sounds good especially with the upcoming cooler weather! Yum!

Anonymous said...

I love stew! And I love quick & easy. Thanks for the idea!

Anonymous said...

I think stew is a great thing to make as the weather starts getting colder.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for playing FFOF!

Anonymous said...

Your stew recipe sounds easy enough. I've been looking for a recipe just like that that I can throw into a crockpot and forget about :) Thanks.